There are many reasons to consider adding an outdoor living area to your home! The benefits are many and personal. But, one added benefit is the value it can add.
A recent article in RISMedia, a real estate information leader, highlighted 5 reasons to invest in outdoor spaces. According to IBISWorld, a market research firm, “investing in outdoor living provides a good return on investment for most people, making it an ideal home improvement project.”
Here are some benefits to consider:
- Personal enjoyment. Why spend money on home improvements unless they provide personal enjoyment for your family? This can range from providing a space to relax and unwind, to providing a place to simply enjoy each other and have fun, to providing fun for the kids.
- Save money by having an enjoyable place for your recreation right in your own backyard. Having outdoor spaces at your home means that it is custom made to your desires and you don’t have to get in your car to go somewhere else. The money saved in gas or fees to join a club can be better spent on your own space.
- Entertaining opportunities abound with your own private outdoor space. Imagine your indoor entertaining space flowing to the outdoors with a place for a fireplace or outdoor barbecue kitchen. It creates more opportunities for adults to have a space to talk and for the kids to have their own recreation opportunities.
- Benefits of nature. Lot’s of research demonstrates the benefits of spending time outdoors, including stress reduction and improved mental clarity and concentration. Stepping out of your indoor environment into a relationship with nature in any form transforms our ability to relax.
- Resale value of your home will be enhanced almost immeasurably by creating outdoor spaces. You shouldn’t necessarily count on recuperating 100% of the cost, but HGTV claims that homeowners recoup 65%-90% of their investment just by adding a deck! Meantime you and your family enjoy the added benefits of the outdoor living, and when you decide to sell there is an intangible added attraction for potential buyers.
Bob Dallas, CEO of UltraOutdoors.com, explains “not only is it good for the value of your home, but it’s a solid investment for…giving your family a relaxing area where they can re-charge their batteries.”
Research the many options including outdoor fireplaces, kitchens, water features, decks, sitting areas, and landscaping. The possibilities literally range from the extravagant to the very modest. Consider seeking the help of a design professional. The key is finding just the right combination of possibilities for the enjoyment of your family.
Infromation courtesy of Tampa FL Real Estate Expert Linda Nowicke!