Here are just a few things you may want to look for in a neighborhood before you buy a home there. Keep an open mind when searching for a neighborhood and do your best to pay attention to these things and you will most likely enjoy your new home for years to come.
- Walkability – A good thing to look for in a neighborhood before you buy is the walkability of it. If you don’t know, a good place to start is to walk the neighborhood yourself. If you don’t want to get out and walk around in the neighborhood before you purchase a home there, you can always check the walkability score on sites such as Walk Score.
- Neighbors – A great way to check out the neighbors in a hood that you are considering buying a house in is to drive through the neighborhood on a Saturday afternoon. Most of the time you will at least get to take a look at a few of the neighbors out in their yards.
- School Rankings – If your children’s education is important to you, you may want to check out the schools in the area in which you are planning to buy a home. Talk to neighbors, go to the school and talk to teachers, check for school ratings in that area online to get an idea of what you should expect.
- Crime Rates – It is very important that you check into crime rates in a neighborhood before you make a purchase so that you are not surprised once you move in. Most of the websites such as Zillow and Trulia have a crime rate locator that will show you just how much crime goes on in different areas.
- Places Of Interest – A good thing to look for in a neighborhood before you buy a house there is for places of interest nearby. You may or may not get a chance to do all of the fun things nearby your new home once you move in but knowing there is a lot to do within a close distance may be important to your children.
- Demographics - If it is important to be in a neighborhood of people who look like you and who are around the same age you may want to check out the demographics before you buy a house there.
These are just a few things you may want to look for in a neighborhood before you purchase a home there. Keep an open mind when searching for a neighborhood and do your best to pay attention to these things and you will most likely enjoy your new home for years to come.